Monday, November 3, 2014



First week in the field!

This is my first p-day officially in Kentucky! We left the MTC at 4 AM last Monday (ugh). We spent Monday night in the mission home (all 21 new missionaries) and then Tuesday we had transfers and went our separate ways. I've been assigned to Versailles (pronounced Ver-sales because we're southern here) Kentucky, which is about halfway between Frankfort and Lexington. It's a really small town but it's pretty nice. We have all of Woodford and Anderson Counties, and we're in the Frankfort ward and Lexington North stake. We have a pretty big area! My trainer is Sister Munk. This is the last transfer of her mission, so after December 10th I'll have a follow up trainer here in Versailles. It's strange to think that people actually go home ;). I appreciate everyone's emails they've been really helpful as I've gone through a hard time. Adjusting to mission life is not easy at all. I was all ready to go home for a few days there. I talked with the area mental health adviser, and I talked a lot with President Brough, my mission president. He's super awesome and he came over yesterday (an hour away from the mission home!) and talked me through the issues I was having. I know a lot of people have been praying for me and fasting for me and I've never been more grateful for you guys. I feel really loved so thanks everyone! President Brough gave me a lot of good advice and told me some really inspired things that I needed to hear. I've never prayed so much in my entire life. For a while I was confused about what to pray for. But I've started praying that I'll have the strength to stay here and that's worked. I've also had three priesthood blessings and that's been really helpful. There's a family over in Lawrenceburg called the Fugals and they're really nice. Sister Fugal said she'll be my surrogate mom while I'm out here in Versailles, and that's really helpful. We had some family time at their house the other night and we sang some hymns. It was really helpful. The ward members here are really nice so that'll be really helpful. Something President Brough said has changed my whole perspective on my mission. He said that he thinks when I was in the premortal existence I was one of those really valiant spirits that fought really hard in the war in heaven, and that's why I've been saved for this time. He said that when I caught just a glimpse of the blessings Heavenly Father would give me, I decided that I would give Him eighteen months of my life. I know that if I keep going and be patient I will be greatly blessed here. Because blessings come after the trials (D&C 58:4). It's still hard and I wake up every day and still want to be home, but it'll get better as I get used to things. I've been told I need to go to Dairy Queen today and get ice cream, so anyone that wants to can join in. I want to share my new favorite scripture, which is John 16:33.

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace . In the world ye shall have tribulation : but be of good cheer ; I have overcome the world. 
 
It's very helpful for anyone going through a hard time, and even when you're not it's just nice. So I encourage everyone to go look that up. And thank you all so much for all your prayers and support, it's really helped and encouraged me. God bless you all (that's something we say a lot in Kentucky)!

-Sister Brouwer

No comments:

Post a Comment